Saturday, December 24, 2011

I know nobody can run from making mistakes.

But then sometimes I wonder if those mistakes we have allegedly made are considered “mistakes” by EVERY single person.

Because don’t most people have different opinions?

Sometimes when we are thrown in the face with issues or uproars that we find ridiculous, we tend to quietly give our own thoughts and opinions about those issues and start wondering why people are making such a big fuss about it.

But if I look at it from another person’s point of view, he might find that the issue we deem petty something he’s very passionate about, something that interferes with his beliefs and life’s principles. So is the fact that he is making such a big deal out of it really something “ridiculous”, or simply just misunderstood by others who don’t feel the same way?

I am not trying to bring up any recent arguments or more like, disagreements I had with one of my close friends. It is just that what happened between us the other day is a perfect example of what I am trying to explain in this blog post.

Over the years I have faced alot of problems with expressing my opinions, simply because we live in a community where all races blend together, and since even people of the same race have many disagreements and arguments, what more among those who come from different religious backgrounds?

Recently, one of my friends has surfaced an issue about a gay couple getting married. In their religion, it is considered wrong, shameful and certainly unacceptable at any level. If I was being truly analytical, I think most, if not all religions also have the same belief, and that is that gay marriage is considered a sin.

But what I’m trying to express here is not about whose religion is the better one, I’m just trying to prove that not everyone lives by religion.

In my point of view, I haven’t a religion that I really understand, or feel passionate about. And at 19 years old, I just don’t think that I have reached the point where I think I can commit to anything (whether a relationship or a religion) 100%. I am still making choices, feeling the waters, discovering new answers and new paths.

So why would I want to casually pick a religion that I don’t really believe in, just because it is the norm to do so?

In my life, I do not deny the existence of God, nor do I confirm it. Because it is my belief that we as humans are never going to be able to discover the truth of our creators.

And since I have no solid foundation to cast my beliefs in any religion, why should I do so?

I have the right to express my rights as a non-religious being, as do those who are tied to their religion. They are not wrong for fighting for their religion, but neither am I for wanting to fight for what I believe in.

I think that gay marriage is as simple as any other marriages between heterosexual couples. It is not that I am trying to appear open-minded, or modern, or smart, it is just that I couldn’t be bothered to determine what is right or wrong in something that will clearly post no harm to humanity.

If it was war, or issues which put lives at stake, then yes, I agree that those involved should be stopped. I can understand if people are condemning it.

But a MARRIAGE? A celebration of two perfectly normal human beings who love each other? Why trifle with such trivialities?

So why is everyone being so uptight about a marriage between two men? Aren’t there more pressing issues in the world that are causing much more harm? How about rape? Murder? War?

Why complain about a MARRIAGE?

I just can’t be bothered. Seriously, just leave them alone. Because people may have different priorities. Not everyone puts religion first in their lives. Not everyone has the same beliefs.

And even if I don’t put religion first, that doesn’t make my opinion or existence less significant than yours. I am not less smart than you. I just have a different mindset.

So please put aside or at least change your opinions about people who don’t take religions seriously as people who are beneath you. We are just DIFFERENT.

It is the same as how I view you as a person.

You have your beliefs, and so I have no rights no judge you or to condemn you. I understand where you come from.

All I’m asking is for you to tone down your condescending attitude with those who do not necessarily share the same beliefs as you.

I am not wrong, to you, I may be, but to me, I am not.

I don’t think you are wrong either.

So that brings back to my whole point about this blog post: What exactly IS wrong or right?

If you can’t prove it, then my idea is to just ignore it. Why fight an uncertain battle? Why waste your energy and time spreading animosity and hate? What good does that do you?

That’s why I don’t understand if we should ever express our views. We can never please everyone. Every move you make, you will step on someone’s tail.

When we don’t speak out, we are deemed unopinionated and passive and therefore are of no use to humanity.

But if we do speak out, we might offend some members and be deemed immature and loud-mouthed and are therefore of no use to humanity either.

You just can’t win!

You might say that if I really believe in something, I should be allowed to speak about it, just as you did with your gay marriage uproar.

But can you imagine if I posted anything about how your religion sometimes represses our rights as humans and that most of your members have asked those who are not from the same religion to GO TO HELL simply because we don’t share the same views/opinions/beliefs?

What would happen to me? I could be sent to jail!

And how about the fact that there are videos out there where your religion has claimed that other religions are ridiculous and untrue but NO ACTIONS have been taken against those idiots?

Can you imagine any other religion making the same video condemning YOUR religion? It would cause an UPROAR! And the news would be full of that issue and those people would be sent to JAIL almost instantaneously!

So is this a double standard?

Why are we so passionate about things that we see on the Internet? And not about those that happen in our OWN LIVES instead?

My suggestion is, if your opinion is not going to in any way make any differences to the situation, then just shut up and leave it alone.

Don’t spread the nonsense.

I voiced out my opinions the other day because I hoped to change your mind about what should be spread and what should not. And hopefully you would realise that there are some things that you don’t have to SHARE IN FACEBOOK.

I wanted to show you that not everyone shares the same beliefs and if you are tactful enough, you’d not post it EVERYWHERE.

And then maybe you can keep your opinions to yourself because you might offend those people around you.

Because you know what? I have gay friends. And they are GREAT PEOPLE.

And it hurts to see that you deem them to be beneath you.

So anyway, this post is not directed to anyone in particular. I just hope that those of you who read this would try and understand OTHERS who DON’T NECESSARILY SHARE THE SAME BELIEFS AS YOU and to please just respect them as normal human beings if they are not doing anything that may harm others.

Gay marriage : harms no one. Cyber-bullying : major injury. So think about it.

Not just gay couples or anything like that. Even me. I may not believe in your religion, but that doesn’t mean you can view me as someone who should be placed beneath you. Simple as that.

You guys out there, show some respect, leave things alone, just take care of your own lives. Leave everyone else’s ALONE.

And after this, I just can’t bothered. I’ll leave you ALONE, as you should do with others.

No comments: