Saturday, November 28, 2009

Today, I make a vow.

Which I actually intend to keep okay. Whatever, I make vows intending to keep them all the time but somehow I always fail doing so BUTTTTTTTTTTT this vow that I am making today, I WILL keep. NO MATTER WHAT.

And that is, to only use shopping bags when I go shopping and really, SAY NO TO PLASTIC. (I've actually started this long time ago, but this time, I'm really SERIOUS.)

Whatever, I'm not going to declare how much I care for the environment or how much I even KNOW about the dangers of plastic usage, but since there ARE experts (meaning those scientists and environmentalists and researchers) out there who are trying to encourage the populace to reduce their plastic-usage, then I figured, Just do it la.

Cos there's no harm in just DOING it anyway, so why not? You don't have to KNOW really WHY reducing plastic-usage is good for the environment, what's important is that you KNOW it WILL be good for the planet. Even if you don't believe the experts, there's no harm in just USING cloth bags as opposed to plastic bags ma.

Sometimes, when you do things, it's okay to just do for the sake of it, and not because it will cause a BIG difference or whatever. For example, when a beggar comes to you for money, instead of making up all sort of excuses saying that;

Oh, he still has fully-functional limbs, he should be able to work to earn money. I won't spoil him by offering him money or;

He looks like he belongs to some syndicate who cheats the public's money or;

He looks DARN healthy why is he begging? I am sure he's gonna use the money to buy drugs and alcohol or;

I've already given the kid money the other day, I'm not gonna give him anymore.

When I see people on the streets who are begging, I automatically give them money. I don't think up elaborate stories of how that person's cheating or lying or whatever, because I'm only trying to HELP. I don't question why he needs the money, but I only know that he NEEDS the money.

If we were to research every beggar's background before offering them money, then the purpose of HELPING someone is already defeated. How can you really tell why someone needs the money? You will never really know, so to cut the story short, just do your part, the PART that you WANT to do, and just give the money. And walk away knowing that you have helped someone.

Isn't that mush easier? If that person REALLY uses the money for something bad, then it isn't your fault is it? You really aren't in the position to stop such things from happening right? Your part is to just give the money, and that's it. Anything that happens thereafter, does not involve you anymore.

At least, that's my philosophy. Just do something for the sake of it, it is OKAY. As long as you're sincere, or heck even if you're NOT sincere, at least so long as the that particular thing is DONE, then you've played your part. (=

Cloth bags. Offer money. Finish story.

Adioh! ;)

2 comments:

Amy Soo said...

Totally agree with ur statements about the beggar lo.. If that beggar doesnt need money, he wont beg lo! Anyway when we give we're not going to lose alot also.

Jo-Yee said...

true amy! love you!! >____<