Thursday, August 22, 2013

Scholarship application woes…..

1175700_10151822573362722_502871983_n

HI! These few days I’ve been obsessed with preparing all the documents needed for me to apply for these two financial aids (for my studies) and I’ve come to realise that I’ve become super dependent on my boyfriend lately. ==

Okay before I get into that, let me talk a bit about my experience in getting these documents ready and see if I can help you with a bit of tips if ever you need to apply for any scholarships.

When I graduated from secondary school, I tried to apply for the JPA scholarship to study overseas but unfortunately with my less-than-perfect results, I was rejected. After the rejection, my self-esteem took a dip and the dejection only intensified when my best friend, Cherrie got the scholarship. Okay I know I sound like I had sour grapes, but that is not true lah ok. Cherrie was the top student of the year and she scored an almost perfect 10A+ and 1A for her SPM so of course she deserved the scholarship. But when you apply for something at the same timeframe as your friend, of course you would feel a bit, I don’t know, upset about how you fell short right?

Anyway so I joined Form 6 and during my last year, I worked my ass off for STPM. Ok lah to be honest I didn’t really work my ass off, I just became…more interested in my studies at that point because I was beginning to grasp the essentials of the subjects I took. I got excellent results for my exams and trial exam and foolish me thought that STPM would be a piece of cake. Of course I overestimated my capabilities and didn’t score higher than 3.75. My initial aim was to get 4.0 (what did I say about overestimating my capabilities?) but I told myself I would be okay with anything above 3.75 too because I wanted to try for JPA (but this time a scholarship for local studies) again and University Malaya (which both, I was told, only accepted CGPAs of 3.75 and above). As you can imagine, I was chao tah devastated when I got my STPM results but I sat dejectedly waiting for my acceptance letter (for both platforms) nevertheless.

In the end I got accepted into UM (the CGPA thing is a LIE! I guess for certain courses you do need such results (like Econs, Engineering, etc) but I was looking to enrol in Art courses so I worried for nothing. BAH. But of course if you are of a certain race, then atrocious results might also get you into UM to fulfil the ‘race quota’ anyway, as usual) but JPA rejected me. Having been rejected twice (once after SPM, now after STPM), especially after having gone through the tedious process of procuring all the required documents, not to mention various stamps and signatures from professional people to validate the documents, you can sort of understand how shattered I was at the news.

When I first applied for the JPA scholarship for overseas studies, I didn’t think ahead and only had 1 copy of all the necessary documents I needed for scholarship application. This means that when I applied for the JPA scholarship the second time, I had to do everything all over again, stupidly. All the photocopying and chasing after headmasters and lecturers to validate your documents, man, those days were awful. However, I went through it all again, and you can imagine my disappointment when I got rejected yet again. The news is true for this I guess – if you want JPA to sponsor you, you need at least 3.75 (unless, again, if you are of a certain race – race quota mah).

ANYWAY, phew! what a huge backstory, this time, after my first year in UM, I will try AGAIN (because my first year results turned out to be surprisingly satisfactory). This time I won’t mention which scholarship I am applying for because if I don’t get it, it will be too much lah and I don’t want to show that in my blog! This time I made several copies of all required documents in case I need them for future use! So for the last few weeks I went around looking for ADUNs around Selangor and after some exhausting efforts, I located one who actually COMES to his office as stated on the info board (it may be news to you, but a lot of ADUNs just happy-happy come into the office anytime they like, if at all, without regarding the schedule that is pinned on the info board about their supposed appearance at any time. Very big-shot one).

The ADUN I looked for is ADUN of Sg. Pinang and he is none other than YB Dato’ Teng Chang Khim hahahaha I don’t know why but everytime I read his name I feel very close to him like he is my father wtf. Maybe because we share same (Chinese) surnames lol. Anyway, YB’s office in the same building as the steamboat opposite Pelangi Apartment in Klang (behind Klang Parade, it’s the only steamboat shop there, so no missing it). If you look to the top floor you will see the DAP logo so just go up there and you will see him (ok lah, his staff. He only comes to office at 9pm-11pm on Wednesdays. Yes, P.M.)!

I am very glad I found him because the office boy there is very chop-chop and be done and wastes no time in helping you get the stamps and signatures needed. Don’t worry too much about producing flawless evidence/original copies for your photostated documents to be validated though, because they are all quite lax in the office. I mean, be prepared with your evidence lah at least but no need to be too worried about it. They usually don’t ask much.

1234512_10151826277877722_2131002476_n

This photo has zero connection with this post so just ignore it ok. Then again, every photo in this blog post also got no connection with anything in this entry hahahaha. Never mind, they are chio!

So my tips when applying for scholarships:

  1. Always make at least 5 copies of all your documents. (This includes photos and yes, always take passport sized photos with a BLUE background – NO white, no matter how apt you think it is.) Get EVERYTHING stamped and validated at one go. Even if you think you might not need them anymore, just make extra, they will probably come in useful one day.
  2. Use the Internet to look for ADUNs, Pengerusi JKKK, Ketua Kampung etc in your area. Don’t hesitate to call their office to enquire; they are used to this type of work so they will know what kind of advice/instructions to give you.
  3. Prepare your documents completely (bring originals to validate the photocopies) before bringing them over to the professional people/ADUN to be validated. They usually do not entertain incomplete sets of documents.
  4. If your cumulative family income (mother’s income + father’s income + whoever else who is working’s income) is more than RM1.5k, the scholarship people will not entertain your application. If you insist on applying, however, either prepare for rejection or fake your family income statement.
  5. Don’t go around telling people that I am the one who taught you the previous trick.
  6. Lastly, if you really want to prove that you appreciate the scholarship, put effort into your studies and don’t waste the financial aid buying nonsense la ok. Even if you want to spend, make sure you have enough to pay for tuition, and also make sure you DO WELL in your studies.
  7. Don’t waste your time in university if you don’t intend to do your best. Many other people want your spot you know.

Good luck trying and don’t hesitate to ask for help ok! Either from seniors or older siblings or even me wtf. My blog is always open lah ok I will try to help if I can. :D

1004697_10151823804992722_1186417586_n

CHIO!

BYE!

P/S: I forgot to talk about how dependent I am on my boyfriend lately wtf. Oh well, I guess that will have to make for another blog post. :D

No comments: