Friday, February 27, 2009

Dayspring.

I have never cried because I was touched or moved before. Heck, I don't even cry usually, I'm steel. :P I get very upset easily yes, but I don't cry. Tears just don't go with me.

But today, it was the first time I had ever felt this surge of emotion so strong it made choke back my tears. I was so moved. But of course I didn't break down and start sobbing like a baby, I just, you know, had trouble trying to hold back my tears because they threatened to fall so intensely.

I and a few girls were at Dayspring for some social work today. This is, I think the third time I have been there, but the first time I have ever spoken to the Principal. She is one lady that I don't think I will ever forget in my life. I was - I am - so moved and touched by her kindness and compassion towards the children in Dayspring. And she was so genuine in her words, I felt like hugging her then and there.

Okay, so Dayspring is a centre for children with learning disabilities. The have different categories of children, Down's Syndrome kids, Autistic kids and Disabled Learners kids. This place, Dayspring, is like a school for these kids, and it was started way back in 1988. The Principal, whose name I can pronounce but can't spell, having never seen the spelling before, sat us down around her today and told us of the history and formation and the welfare of Dayspring.

It was a very touching and moving talk, as I have said, and the sincerity in the Principal's words sent stabs into me (drama for effect la. :P), making me realise how important it is to help these disabled children - no, special children. (: The Principal told us stories about the parents of these kids who at first faced difficulties in accepting their children, and then moving on to making the society and especially their families accept that their children are socially impaired.

There are cruel families who disregard these special children, and the people who face the most pain are the parents. They did not choose to have to go through with the fate of having special children. So why can't the society just accept them, and the special children as part of the human race? There are just plain mean people who blame the cause of this on karma, alleging that these parents deserve the fate of having these children because of what apparent sin they committed in the past.

This is complete bullshit. These kids are born this way due to biological reasons and not at all because someone did this to another person or whatever. These special children are children whose brains have been damaged either since birth or during their developing process. There is no one to blame for this.

And besides, these children are just like any normal kid we see on the streets, only lacking some capabilities we have. But isn't that what makes us all humans? We are not perfect. There have to be some fields in which we lack, so doesn't that make us the same as those special chidlren? The only difference is these children need extra help from us. And as normal people who have compassion and emotion, why aren't we all doing it? Why are there only so few of us willing to help these kids?

This is the part that made me assemble all my respect and salutations to the staff of the Dayspring committee. They are doing all this, setting up a community in which special children can flourish, providing these kids with a future, only because they see the need in helping these children. They, the staff, have mentioned that doing this is no easy job, but they are fully up to the task, simply because they have committed to helping people. This promise is so beautiful. I really have no other way to describe their pledge towards Dayspring, but with the word beautiful.

I want to be like these people. They have widened my views and horizon in so many things, especially regarding the duty of mankind and the human race - that is to help one another. Also, I fully pledge to live by the tagline Dayspring carries around in their little society and by which they have stood to conquer hardship and adversities, and that is:

Patience rewards. (:

Ciao.

Image Hosting by Picoodle.com

No comments: