Wednesday, July 29, 2009

This is very sad.

Let me show you this conversation I had with a friend which led to serious argument.

It all started when Ryan asked Andrew why he hadn't got his birthday present. But it wasn't true. We got him his gift, he just wasn't around to take it. So, I said this:

Jo-Yee: dont give him. own birthday celebration also didnt turn up.

Which I am sure ALL OF YOU can see, it was meant to be a JOKE. Obviously.

And then, Ryan said this:

Ryan.: Its not like i dont wanna turn up alright ? & if they dont wanna give than dont. Im not despo for any present. So mind u , put urself in my position.

And I was actually very shocked that he got offended. So I said this:

Jo-Yee: erm. ok. maybe u should put urself and my position and see the joke. i was trying to be funny. sorry i wasnt.

Maybe I was being a little sarcastic there, but it was not because I didn't mean my apology. I was being sarcastic with the erm. ok. part because it WASN'T okay for me when he got offended, cos I was only JOKING and also, erm. ok. is a very popular quote among me and my friends; it's a very funny line in the book The Princess Diaries.

And then Ryan misinterpreted me AGAIN and said this:

Ryan.: I dont see any joke in there ? & i dint even ask for any of ur so " called " jokes in the first place. So prehaps u can cut down with ur craps.

And then I got offended.

Jo-Yee: it's not my FAULT u dont see any jokes in there. well i am sorry u cant take humour. dont worry, i wont create laughter anymore. it is so fun when everybody is MOODY right.

And the argument went on and on and on...

You see. I wasn't trying to humiliate Ryan, or embarrass him, or hurt him, or whatever. I was just trying to be funny. I was just cracking a JOKE. LIKE I ALWAYS DO. But I guess I am partially wrong too, because I understand the Principles of Humour, and one of them is:

Even if you meant to be funny, if someone misinterprets you (and doesn't find it funny), you are still in the wrong.

So throughout I was being quite civil. Cos the truth is, I hate to argue. I hate to be in bad terms with someone. Particularly my friend. I guess I should have just apologised profusely until he cooled down and then this argument wouldn't have happened.

But I've been through so much of this, where I don't take a stand for myself, and I am starting to feel like I am constantly being taken advantage of.

But I do regret feeding the argument, though. It shouldn't have happened. But I won't stoop as low to say that I was COMPLETELY wrong in this.

I apologised. That's all that matters.

Once again, Ryan, I am sorry. Whether or not you want to accept this. I just don't want to argue anymore. For ever.

Ciao.


So readers, what do you think? What should be done to end this argument?

3 comments:

Aindriú said...

I think sometimes things just heated up in a brief moment... perhaps a little appreciation of each other and a small note of sorry will be able to wash down a lot of unruly emotional baggage, which is somehow redundant in comparison to this long journey called 'life'.

Let's travel light!

Jo-Yee said...

yea.. i just think we need a little time. sigh.

Jo-Yee said...

thanks (: for the words