Friday, December 18, 2009

I am 17. But I still whine to my parents when I want something.

I know that sometimes I may carry the appearance of being an overly whiny over sized over loud 17 year old girl, but seriously, that is just who I am.

I don't see anything wrong with being whiny and pampered, because it at least gets me what I want from time to time. I know whiny people are very repulsive and annoying, but trust me, some parents like it better when their children whine at them for something, rather than having them slam the door shut in reverse psychology in order to get what they have been denied.

It isn't wrong to whine at your parents, unless your parents are like, totally rigid and geeky people, who are immune to emotions. But my parents aren't like that.

In fact, I think they thoroughly enjoy it when their children whine to them. (Frankly, by children of course I mean me, since I am the youngest of their two children and thus will always be subject to being the baby of the family) I reckon it gives them some kind of warmth as they would be able to feel again what it was like when we were still kids.

I think it is psychologically proven that parents have an inordinate need to be able to feel like their children still depend on them, because I guess it gives them a sense of empowerment that no matter how old their children get, ultimately when they fall down, it is their parents they turn to for comfort.

Plus, my family is a very loving one, even though of course my parents have separated since I was about I dunno, 3-4 years old? But living with my Mum has thought me alot of things about familial love and care, and instead of turning me into a rebellious kid from a broken family background, my parents' separation only served to bring my Mum and I closer, because my whole life thus far has been spent in the sole presence of my Mum (and my Sister of course).

Even though I am huge and not to mention 17 years of age, I still huggle my Mum in her bed and roll around nibbing her arm lovingly in childish abandonment like I am a small kid. It seems hard to believe, and definitely difficult to imagine, but that is exactly the way I am with my family.

I like being this way because I know there are only a handful of families out there who share a bond so close as the one I share with my Mum and my Sister.

And so of course, being brought up in such a lovey-dovey family, I would automatically carry my whininess into my formative process. And so when I make good friends, it isn't totally bewildering that I may pass some of my whininess into my friendships.

Take Cherrie for example, I whine to her all the time, and I guess I am lucky that she doesn't mind it so much. Well, I guess she doesn't mind it so much, because I think she knows this is the way I am. But to the outside world, they may perceive me as being a spoilt brat who comes from a rich family and who obviously thinks they world revolves around her and her needs.

Number 1, I am not a spoilt brat. Though I may be lucky enough to be granted almost everything that I have ever wanted in my life, I didn't get them through whiny tears and childish tantrums. I got them because I deserved them because they were usually rewards for me when I did well in exams, or had been the good daughter that month.

Number 2, I am not even rich. I live in a house where electricity is like gold, and whenever the air-cond is left on for even a minute longer, my Mum would chastise us for being wasteful. And also, even though I have a fully functioning air-cond in my bedroom, I am not allowed to turn it on when I go to bed at night, rather, I only get to use it once in a blue moon.

Number 3, I have often sacrificed my wants when I realised they sound unreasonable, so how can I be someone who is self-centered? One of the things I take most pride in my personality is the fact that I am a very helpful person. I donate to charity foundations and I like to offer help to random people when they need it. I am not trying to blow my own trumpet, but this is really one fact about myself I would like to admit. Because I am proud of it.

Probably my childishness has been confused by other people with being spoilt and irritating, but I seriously don't see anything wrong with being whiny. I am not asking you to share my beliefs, but I am requesting that you would respect me the way I am.

I seriously don't see where this post is going, however, but I just felt the need to write it. Because many a time people have mistaken my whininess for something much more repulsive such as being a spoilt brat, and I don't want to be perceived that way.

I am whiny. So what? If you don't like it, I won't do it to you, but please do not ask me to stop altogether, because this is my life, and if it isn't anything wrong, I would not change the way I am.

Adioh.

2 comments:

Audrey Juicy Tits said...

I am insulted at your use of the word geeky. D8

*being a geek myself*

Reverse psychology works better in my family. 8D Since my parents feel bad very easily over us getting upset or sulky lol.

Jo-Yee said...

hahah okay probably i didn't mean geeky. but like, those boring type of people you know?

haha. reverse psychology works for me sometimes too, but of course minus the door-slamming. more like the silent treatment type of rp. haha =DDDDDDD